SO, when i shutdown tomcat, using
$CATALINA_HOME/bin/shutdown.sh

it says no such file or dir...

and if I do ./shutdown.sh, then I get the foloowing.
Using CATALINA_BASE:   /users/meenaksharora/java/tomcat/apache-tomcat-6.0.14
Using CATALINA_HOME:   /users/meenaksharora/java/tomcat/apache-tomcat-6.0.14
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR:
/users/meenaksharora/java/tomcat/apache-tomcat-6.0.14/temp
Using JRE_HOME:
/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5/Home
Sep 13, 2007 10:09:22 AM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina stopServer
SEVERE: Catalina.stop:
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:195)
        at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(SocksSocketImpl.java:430)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.stopServer(Catalina.java:409)
        at
        at
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.stopServer(Bootstrap.java:337)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:415)
-bash-2.05b$

Now I think I may have to diable APJ1.3 in my server.xml or get a
lower version of JRE/JDK ..Is that right?

This is what someone else suggested:
The problem is that this version of Tomcat comes with commons-logging
version 1.0.2 which does not have the Jdk14Logger. When you run in a
1.4 environment, it tries to use that logger by default.

You can either upgrade your commons-logging package to 1.0.4 or point
your JAVA_HOME to a 1.3 JRE.