Minky,

minky arora wrote:
> SO, when i shutdown tomcat, using
> $CATALINA_HOME/bin/shutdown.sh
>
> it says no such file or dir...

Really? Where? I don't see such a message in your attached console
output. I'm guessing that $CATALINA_HOME is not set to anything, or is
not set properly.

> and if I do ./shutdown.sh, then I get the foloowing.
> Using CATALINA_BASE:   /users/meenaksharora/java/tomcat/apache-tomcat-6.0.14
> Using CATALINA_HOME:   /users/meenaksharora/java/tomcat/apache-tomcat-6.0.14
> Using CATALINA_TMPDIR:
> /users/meenaksharora/java/tomcat/apache-tomcat-6.0.14/temp
> Using JRE_HOME:
> /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5/Home
> Sep 13, 2007 10:09:22 AM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina stopServer
> SEVERE: Catalina.stop:

This means that Tomcat is not running, or has been improperly configured.

> Now I think I may have to diable APJ1.3 in my server.xml or get a
> lower version of JRE/JDK ..Is that right?

No. Don't change anything more than you have to. Forget ajp13, and keep
the same JVM you're been trying to use. I'm sure that your Mac won't
work properly now that you've gutted it's JVM several times over.

> This is what someone else suggested:
> The problem is that this version of Tomcat comes with commons-logging
> version 1.0.2 which does not have the Jdk14Logger. When you run in a
> 1.4 environment, it tries to use that logger by default.
>
> You can either upgrade your commons-logging package to 1.0.4 or point
> your JAVA_HOME to a 1.3 JRE.

Ignore all this crap. Tomcat works out of the box. Once it is working,
you have all kinds of logging options if you want to change things. This
is not the problem. Do not change your logger. Do not change anything
else. Stop trying to create more problems.

Since Tomcat is not running, do the following:

$ rm /users/meenaksharora/java/tomcat/apache-tomcat-6.0.14/logs/*
$ /users/meenaksharora/java/tomcat/apache-tomcat-6.0.14/bin/startup.sh

Wait for a minute or two and then attach he entire contents of every
single file in the
/users/meenaksharora/java/tomcat/apache-tomcat-6.0.14/logs directory to
your next post. Please indicate which contents belong to which files.
Remember that attachments do not work on the list, and that you need to
copy-and-paste.