minky arora wrote:
> OK..as expected , I may need little more help.
>
> I am trying to shutdown Tomcat and am getting the foll:
> *******
> RNAi:/users/meenaksharora/java/tomcat/apache-tomcat-6.0.14/bin
> meenaksharora$ ./shutdown.sh
> Using CATALINA_BASE:   /users/meenaksharora/java/tomcat/apache-tomcat-6.0.14
> Using CATALINA_HOME:   /users/meenaksharora/java/tomcat/apache-tomcat-6.0.14
> Using CATALINA_TMPDIR:
> /users/meenaksharora/java/tomcat/apache-tomcat-6.0.14/temp
> Using JRE_HOME:       /usr/bin/java
> /users/meenaksharora/java/tomcat/apache-tomcat-6.0.14/bin/catalina.sh:
> line 295: /usr/bin/java/bin/java: Not a directory
> ************
> the following is my profile file:
> *******
> PATH="/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin"TH="/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin"
> export PATH
>

> JAVA_HOME="/bin/java"
> export JAVA_HOME
>
> if [ "${BASH-no}" != "no" ]; then
>         [ -r /etc/bashrc ] && . /etc/bashrc
> fi
> **************
> If I type whereis java at the prompt, I get
> /usr/bin/java

That's because on OS X the java binaries are symlinked into the /usr/bin
directory. 'whereis' tells you where the java binary is, JAVA_HOME and
JRE_HOME are installation directory locations, NOT the actual binary.

The reason it doesn't work is that the scripts expect the installation
directory to be set in JAVA_HOME, to which they append the local path to
the binary.

If you'd listened to the advice you'd already been given, you wouldn't
have set the JAVA_HOME variable to this value.

 Option 1: Remove completely the JAVA_HOME environment variable.

 Option 2: Set JAVA_HOME to /Library/Java/Home

Choose one or other of the above.