Your error-page declaration only handles errors caused by
sendError(500). It doesn't handle exceptions thrown by the
application. To specify an error page that is called for all unhandled
exceptions, add this:

        <error-page>
                <exception-type>java.lang.Throwable</exception-type>
                <location>/whatever.jsp</location>
        </error-page>

--
Len