Pid wrote:
David Kerber wrote:
What is the most efficient (=fastest) way of copying large (> 1GB [yes,
that's a Giga]) files around the network in java when running under
tomcat 5.5.x?  Do I use a FileInputStream and FileOutputStream with a
large byte[] array?  Or what?

I think that the NIO apis were intended to handle speedier transfers of
data across network connections.

It depends how you wish to move the data.  Google provided a wealth of
results of mixed tutorials and API explanations for "java nio".

Let me give a bit more detail: I am working on a utility function in my webapp that will periodically copy the database file from the db server to a backup server on the LAN. This particular function does not use the internet, it's strictly copying on the LAN. I don't care what method it uses as long as it's fairly simple to code, and moves fast. I've already got the creation of the backup file handled; that's a database function. It's just the copying to another machine that I'm working on now.