In my case, apache is in the front as a load balancer (JK module). I read an
instruction that says SSL is only needed between client and Apache, but SSL is
not configured between apache and tomcat. I am using JBOSS 4.2.2.

  In my environment, the security between apache and tomcat is a concern. How
to configure SSL all the way between client --> Apache --> Tomcat?

  Thanks!
  dave

Schadler Johann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  To ensure you have a valid keystore with the included private key and a
refer to an alias 'tomcat' I recommend strongly to create a new keystore as
described in the reference (see links in other answer mails). At least you
can create a self-signed certificate if you don't need one signed by a
trusted CA.

To check if SSL is running you can test it from a Linux or Unix box with
installed OpenSSL with the following command:

echo -e "GET /jsp-examples/index.jsp HTTP/1.0\r\n\r\n"|openssl
s_client -connect localhost:8443 -ssl3 -debug -quiet

Replace URI-context and welcome file, replace hostname and port if
neccessary, change SSL mode to ssl2 or tsl as needed

Johann