Hi David,

I tried what you suggested (quote: "Just out of curiousity, are you trying
to run your webapp from within
Eclipse?  If so, try it without Eclipse -- deploy it to your installed
tomcat and see if the error continues.  If the error goes away, it may be
something funky with your Eclipse -- missing .jar file or something."): try
the app in Tomcat without Eclipse (yes, you where right in your assumption
that I used Eclipse as startingpoint of Tomcat).

At first I got the following error:
<error>
description The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it
from fulfilling this request.

exception

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: An exception occurred processing JSP page
/jsp/displayAddOrderForm.jsp at line 8

5: </head>
6: <body>
7: <html:errors/>
8: <html:form action="/saveOrder">
9: <table>
10: <tr>
11:   <td>Product:</td>
</error>

I looked in my TOMCAT_HOME/lib directory, and found the following jars with
the date stamp of last Monday:
j2ee.jar
j2ee-svc.jar
javaee.jar
I removed these files and got the following error (not the same as the root
cause of this thread):
<error>
type Exception report

message

description The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it
from fulfilling this request.

exception

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: javax.servlet.ServletException:
javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: Exception creating bean of class
app04a.form.OrderForm: {1}

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.handleJspException(JspServletWrapper.java:541)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:417)
        org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:320)
        org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:266)
        javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:803)

org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.doForward(RequestProcessor.java:1056)

org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.internalModuleRelativeForward(RequestProcessor.java:994)

org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.processForward(RequestProcessor.java:553)

org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.process(RequestProcessor.java:211)
        org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.process(ActionServlet.java:1164)
        org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.doGet(ActionServlet.java:397)
        javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:690)
        javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:803)
</error>

Clearly, my Tomcat (and Eclipse) have issues in how I configure my system.

Abel

FWIW:
Jar files in TOMCAT_HOME\lib:
annotations-api.jar     catalina-ant.jar        catalina-ha.jar
catalina-tribes.jar
catalina.jar            el-api.jar              jasper-el.jar
jasper-jdt.jar
jasper.jar              jsp-api.jar             servlet-api.jar
tomcat-coyote.jar
tomcat-dbcp.jar         tomcat-i18n-es.jar      tomcat-i18n-fr.jar
tomcat-i18n-ja.jar

David Smith-2 wrote:

> Sorry Martin, but bad advice.  In recent versions of tomcat, jsp-api is
> provided in the /lib directory of tomcat.  If you have your own in your
> webapp (or in the jave environment for that manner), please remove it as
> it will cause many a wonderous error.
>
> Also tomcat does not work with j2ee as j2ee comes with it's own copy of
> a servlet container and the two will clash with each other.   Replace
> your Java EE environment with the java sdk or java jre environments to
> use tomcat.
>
> The bottom line is jars in tomcat can only exist once along any
> classloader branch.  If it's in the JVM, it can be in tomcat's /lib or
> the webapp's /WEB-INF/lib directories.  If it's in tomcat's /lib, it
> can't exist in the webapp.
>
> Come back with a complete stack trace including any root causes of your
> problem once those are fixed.
>
> --David
>
> Martin Gainty wrote:
>> Abel
>> put jsp-api.jar in /WEB-INF/lib
>> M-

>>> javax/servlet/jsp/tagext/TagExtraInfo.class!)
>>> j2ee.jar