Cool... I see your tomcat lib directory is back to the default distribution. What's in your webapp's WEB-INF/lib directory, and can you confirm which java tomcat is running on? I would like to be sure it's not J2EE. It should be the Java 1.6.0_03 you listed in your original post. Lastly, post the full stack including root causes in error messages. The two stacks you posted below look like they had additional information in a root cause.

As far as the last stack you posted (and this is just a guess), is app04a.form.OrderForm a true JavaBean with a no argument constructor?

--David

AbelMacAdam wrote:
Hi David,
I tried what you suggested (quote: "Just out of curiousity, are you trying
to run your webapp from within
Eclipse?  If so, try it without Eclipse -- deploy it to your installed
tomcat and see if the error continues.  If the error goes away, it may be
something funky with your Eclipse -- missing .jar file or something."): try
the app in Tomcat without Eclipse (yes, you where right in your assumption
that I used Eclipse as startingpoint of Tomcat).

At first I got the following error:
<error>
description The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it
from fulfilling this request.

exception

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: An exception occurred processing JSP page
/jsp/displayAddOrderForm.jsp at line 8

5: </head>
6: <body>
7: <html:errors/>
8: <html:form action="/saveOrder">
9: <table>
10: <tr>
11:   <td>Product:</td>
</error>

I looked in my TOMCAT_HOME/lib directory, and found the following jars with
the date stamp of last Monday:
j2ee.jar
j2ee-svc.jar
javaee.jar
I removed these files and got the following error (not the same as the root
cause of this thread):
<error>
type Exception report

message

description The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it
from fulfilling this request.

exception

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: javax.servlet.ServletException:
javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: Exception creating bean of class
app04a.form.OrderForm: {1}

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.handleJspException(JspServletWrapper.java:541)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:417)
        org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:320)
        org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:266)
        javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:803)

org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.doForward(RequestProcessor.java:1056)

org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.internalModuleRelativeForward(RequestProcessor.java:994)

org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.processForward(RequestProcessor.java:553)

org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.process(RequestProcessor.java:211)
        org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.process(ActionServlet.java:1164)
        org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.doGet(ActionServlet.java:397)
        javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:690)
        javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:803)
</error>

Clearly, my Tomcat (and Eclipse) have issues in how I configure my system.

Abel

FWIW:
Jar files in TOMCAT_HOME\lib:
annotations-api.jar     catalina-ant.jar        catalina-ha.jar
catalina-tribes.jar
catalina.jar el-api.jar jasper-el.jar jasper-jdt.jar jasper.jar jsp-api.jar servlet-api.jar tomcat-coyote.jar tomcat-dbcp.jar tomcat-i18n-es.jar tomcat-i18n-fr.jar tomcat-i18n-ja.jar

David Smith-2 wrote:
Sorry Martin, but bad advice. In recent versions of tomcat, jsp-api is provided in the /lib directory of tomcat. If you have your own in your webapp (or in the jave environment for that manner), please remove it as it will cause many a wonderous error.

Also tomcat does not work with j2ee as j2ee comes with it's own copy of a servlet container and the two will clash with each other. Replace your Java EE environment with the java sdk or java jre environments to use tomcat.

The bottom line is jars in tomcat can only exist once along any classloader branch. If it's in the JVM, it can be in tomcat's /lib or the webapp's /WEB-INF/lib directories. If it's in tomcat's /lib, it can't exist in the webapp.

Come back with a complete stack trace including any root causes of your problem once those are fixed.

--David

Martin Gainty wrote:
Abel
put jsp-api.jar in /WEB-INF/lib