Normally compilers are the memory hogs! A few things you can do is that;

1. If you use JSP, convert to servlets to avoid initialization phase
compiling.
2. If your JDk is JIT (Just in time) compiler enable, disable it. You may
have a bit slow execution. But should have satisfactory speed.
3. Increase memory size! I use 512MB and dual CPU. Still initialization
taking significant time!