Is it the Apache? Or is it the Tomcat? All the logs say ok... so

As I mentioned this is a FreeBSD server- 6.2, Apache2.2, Tomcat 6.0,
mod_jk? (latest from FreeBSD ports 1.2.26?).

My httpd.conf includes a mod_jk.conf file and the mod_jk.conf calls a
workers.properties file. So do I need to put a reference in
virtualhosts, or can I use it globally?

mod_jk.conf:
<IfModule mod_jk.c>
        JkWorkersFile /usr/local/etc/apache22/extra/workers.properties
        JkLogFile  /var/log/jk.log
        JkShmFile  /var/log/jk-runtime-status
        JkLogLevel error

        # Sample JkMounts.  Replace these with the paths you would
        # like to mount from your JSP server.
        JkMount /*.jsp localhost
        JkMount /servlet/* localhost
        JkMount /examples/* localhost
        JkMount /login/j_security_check localhost
</IfModule>
# Map encoded urls
<Location *;jsessionid=>
        SetHandler jakarta-servlet
</Location>
# Map subdirectory
<Location /webapps/>
        SetHandler jakarta-servlet
</Location>

workers.properties:
worker.worker1.port=8009
worker.worker1.host=127.0.0.1
worker.worker1.type=ajp13
worker.worker1.lbfactor=1

In the mod_jk.conf file I changed the JkMount entries to occur outside
the IfModule directive, and ran apachectl -k graceful but still no
change. I then navigated to /servlets (in httpd.conf there is a
Directory directive for /webapps only, referencing the tomcat web
directory) and a 404 error from Apache saying /servlets not found.