Hello Steve, excuse the top post but one caveat: IMHO as I hurriedly explained
in the first post the all-around best and SERIOUS tesing using JMeter is the
distributed testing. However, like a lot of FOSS JMeter is not without a
gothca: JMeter has a concurrency problem but the work around is easy. One rule:
one user per ThreadGroup. If you need more users then just create more
ThreadGroups. I was able to conduct some very serious testing for a multiple
Tomcat installation assessment at Chevron. The beauty with JMeter is, as you
have seen,  out-of-the-box JMeter and a decent JRE is all that is needed. My
point here is: if you do conduct a distributed test all that you will need is
one master machine (JMeter Test Plan box) and as many distributed slaves as you
can muster. Since you are an admin guy you should be able attain hardware:
anything will do for the distributed slave (laptops, old towers, any OS: Linux,
XP whatever). Chevron projected there web apps to expand to 25k us
 ers internally and so I was able to construct a dev/test model of their
topology and I was able to get the application to fail at about 25 concurrent
users with a 1 second ramp time. This will give you a baseline metric to use as
a reference when you begin making performance and tuning changes to see if you
get a better server. Also, if push comes to shove the JMeter has a very nice
JUnit sampler that if you get the TC source you can compile the source with a
JUnit TestCase in the appropriate spot in the code. This will give the best and
most revealing source of problems assuming your assertions are correct. HTH,
David.

Steve Burt wrote ..