On 26/02/2008, at 2:26 PM, Steve Burt wrote:

pix firewall -> cisco loadbalance -> apache webservers -> application
-> Oracle DB

Problem that I am expericing is every time I try into introduce the
appserver into the loadbalancer config, the keep alive request seems
to be agrivating tomcat and causing it to crash.. this as you can
imaging is very tiresome... :-) you have to have a sense of humour
about these things...

What is the 'Apache webservers'? Is this Apache HTTPD or Tomcat?
Is the "Application" tomcat or your WebApp?

You say 'introduce' - Does the load balancer have any traffic running
across it or is this an additional server?

Could it be that this setup works with one machine, and not with two?

Could it be that you do not have some sort of session persistence enabled in the load balancer so that the next request from the same user lands on
the same tomcat?

Anyway the error message is

Nov 13, 2006 9:02:19 PM org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint processSocket SEVERE: Socket error caused by remote host /xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx(This is the
IP address of the loadbalancer"

java.net.SocketException: Invalid argument

at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketSetOption(Native Method
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.setOption(PlainSocketImpl.java:240)
at java.net.Socket.setTcpNoDelay(Socket.java:771)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.set contd......

This seems to be a popular message but I dont think there has been a
resolution to this..

Now If I remove the appserver from the loadbalance problem dissappears
... obviously

If you remove the load balancer from the above picture? or the 'Additional'
app server from the load balancer config?

The Loadbalancer is sending its keepalive request direct to port 8080
on the appserver

Is the load balancer keeping the connection alive to the 'appserver' or is
it just passing through a packet from a web browser somewhere?

I am unfortunately not very familiar with the Cisco/ Arrow Point kit so
I can't give you and 100% answers - but I have never seen this problem with
my F5 boxes...

Regards

Andrew