Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
From: karthikn [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Subject: Re: RESIDENTIAL MEMORY 100%

2) In Remote TOMCAT5523 "/infinet/karthik/TOMCAT5523/bin"
    i inserted a new argument in  "catalina.sh"  as follows
export JAVA_OPTS=-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=8999

I think you also need this:
You do - at least, it works for me!

However, there are two other issues  which I ran into.

1. A lot of linux installations have the 'localhost' setting something like this in /etc/hosts

127.0.0.1 localhost my.machine.com

Sun doesn't like this. You must explicitly set the 'outside' IP address so you end up with something like:

127.0.0.1 localhost
123.456.123.456 my.machine.com

That confused me for about a day until a lot of googling came up with the above answer. I could connect from linux to linux but not windows to linux.

Also see
http://blogs.sun.com/jmxetc/entry/troubleshooting_connection_problems_in_jconsole

and
   http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/management/faq.html

which has a lot of useful stuff for debugging jmx remote problems. And don't forget to check the firewall!

Regards

Alan Chaney