Hi

Sorry for the dely, thx for the prompt reply
I did setup the JMX / Jconsole as specified,

Few more issues to get clarified

1) export JAVA_OPTS="-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=false -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=8999 -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false"

Using the above setting on Catalina.sh

a)shutdown.sh  refuses to work and displays ...

Using CATALINA_BASE:   /infinet/karthik/TOMCAT5523
Using CATALINA_HOME:   /infinet/karthik/TOMCAT5523
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /infinet/karthik/TOMCAT5523/temp
Using JRE_HOME:       /opt/java6

Error: Exception thrown by the agent : java.rmi.server.ExportException: Port
already in use: 8999; nested exception is:
       java.net.BindException: Address already in use (errno:226)
java.lang.RuntimeException: Exception thrown by the agent
       at sun.management.Agent.error(Agent.java:303)
       at sun.management.Agent.error(Agent.java:294)
       at sun.management.Agent.startAgent(Agent.java:151)
       at sun.management.Agent.startAgent(Agent.java:239)

Cause of this I cannot do the JMX / Jconsole monitoring setup for a Production Live system,since Down time cannot be more then

60 sec.

Any work arounds for the same?

b)My WIFI web application uses JNI for Java to C++ Objects translation ( CISCO routers ,AAA API is in C++ )

Does any body think that the JNI Layer is the Cause of this trouble in creating 100% CPU utilization.

Please suggest.... :(

with regards
Karthik

From: karthikn [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: RESIDENTIAL MEMORY 100%

2) In Remote TOMCAT5523 "/infinet/karthik/TOMCAT5523/bin"
    i inserted a new argument in  "catalina.sh"  as follows
    export JAVA_OPTS=-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=8999

I think you also need this:

You do - at least, it works for me!

However, there are two other issues  which I ran into.

1. A lot of linux installations have the 'localhost' setting something
like this in /etc/hosts

127.0.0.1 localhost my.machine.com

Sun doesn't like this. You must explicitly set the 'outside' IP address
so you end up with something like:

127.0.0.1 localhost
123.456.123.456 my.machine.com

That confused me for about a day until a lot of googling came up with
the above answer. I could connect from linux to linux but not windows to
linux.

Also see

http://blogs.sun.com/jmxetc/entry/troubleshooting_connection_problems_in_jconsole

and
    http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/management/faq.html

which has a lot of useful stuff for debugging jmx remote problems. And
don't forget to check the firewall!

Regards

Alan Chaney

.