Greetings

I guess given the lack of replies that most think this is too OT for
this list, well I suppose it is but I couldn't resist answering.

"Don't Do It"

That is, don't use any framework at all.

Download Tomcat and the relevant J2EE API documentation bundle, then
goto the MySQL site and get the driver
then go http://commons.apache.org/ and get all sorts of stuff. Finally
read http://java.sun.com/blueprints/patterns/catalog.html (maybe this
should be the other way around)

This really is all you need. learning a framework is an overhead you
can do without if you are getting into J2EE.

I used to use Struts and JSF and Castor and lot's of other stuff but I
found I was spending more time learning how to configure the framework
than I was developing. My latest site has most of what you mention and
not a framework in site.

Follow the patterns, write cohesive POJOs and hide the business logic
behind facades. Use the commons stuff, it works, it's free and it's
documented (to a degree). I even used to eschew taglibs but I'm a
convert now so use them where you can.

NEVER put business logic anywhere other than in POJOs (or EJBs if you
must) and never do anything other than rendering in jsp's.

Use css, everywhere, all the time ... IE 6 is broken but most of the
latest browsers are pretty good these days IMHO.

Stick to this and you will be writing websites and earning money for
the rest of your working life while others struggle to get heir head
around the latest bloated XML nightmare config, docubabble latest
greatest framework.

Madness ? perhaps, but I spend my time learning the Java/J2EE APIs
rather than reading framework documentation and I am never out of
work.

<Lights blue touchpaper and retires>

Good Luck

Lyallex