Peter

Never suggested the OP develop carts and such like from scratch really did I.

What I said was he should focus on learning the core APIs, that's a
little different.
Building your own business logic is a requirement whatever framework
you use (or don't use). If you can tell me where to find reusable
business logic then that will certainly save me time, I'd still want
to know how it worked though so black boxes are useless.

If, when you know the core you decide to rot your brain and spend
frustrating days trying to configure some bloody minded framework then
go for it, at least you'll have some idea where to look when it
doesn't work (they NEVER work first time in my experience).

Anyway OP, hope this little discussion has cleared things up for you :-))

Cheers
Lyallex