----- Original Message ----- From: "Johnny Kewl" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 3:19 AM
Subject: Re: Session lost when switching from https to http after upgrade to Tomcat 6

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Davidson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, June 09, 2008 7:17 PM

Johnny Kewl wrote:
Bill... Just lose the FORM authentication, replace it with DIGEST, or even BASIC.... I think all your problems will go away.

I'm not exactly sure what you're saying. Are you saying that I shouldn't be
authenticating through a form?

Yes... Just because all your problems seem related to cookies, and FORM authentication relies on cookies. Also because I have no idea how to tell tomcat when creating the session to lose that secure attribute, I guess one has to override a class somewhere, and that probably just a good indication (these TC designers are guru gods, as clever as hell ;) that maybe moving from HTTPs to HTTP is just a bad idea.

Then I started thinking about say DIGEST/BASIC authentication which does not work on a cookie, its going to have its own authentication headers and I think the browser will return those even when moving from HTTPs to HTTP... so now with FORM replaced with DIGEST say... its all legal. And its is actually safe... it would drop the session, and make a new one... and for the most webapps (that are not using cookies in security) thats no problem, cookies are free ;)

So (if I'm right) FORM auth when moving from HTTPs to HTTP is bad news and requires a kludge, ie overriding secure cookies... and even though thats clever, it is a security hole... a hacker gets that cookie, they in.

But... DIGEST would allow the same thing, no kludge and would be safe.

Thats kinda interesting... or maybe I'm just bored ;)

I dont like the idea of "fixing" it... thats all.

Heres a better way of saying it....
When a webapp moves from HTTPs to HTTP... the sessions must get a bad case of amnesia.
Thats what the security is doing.

If DIGEST is used... it will still work (I think) even though the webapp has a bad case of amnesia.
ie the Webapp will just start remembering state from the change over.

ok I am bored ;)

The only real POJO Application Server.