> From: tootbatoot [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Tomcat 5.0.28 memory usage - garbage collection
>
> When I put load on it via my webapp - I can see the memory
> allocated to the process going up (in task manager) but
> when I kill the session of the webapp (i.e. remove the load)
> it does not come down. Should not the tomcat process release
> memory when there is no load ?

In a word, no.  On most JVMs, once the virtual memory for the heap is allocated
due to peak load, it stays allocated.  However, you didn't tell us if you're
looking at real or virtual memory numbers; the real memory can fluctuate simply
because the OS chooses to page some of it out.

You also didn't bother to tell us the JDK and OS you're using (likely some form
of Windows), and your're running on an unsupported version of Tomcat.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.