Rainer Jung wrote:
André Warnier wrote:
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
[...]

Guys,

I hate to admit it, but it very much looks like I will have to eat my words and be humble and deferential in the future to the "real Tomcat" school of thought.

In just found this in the /etc/init.d/tomcat5.5 script of my Debian Linux system :

                su -p -s /bin/sh $TOMCAT5_USER \
                                -c "$ROTATELOGS
\"$CATALINA_BASE/logs/catalina_%F.log\" 86400" \
                                < "$CATALINA_BASE/logs/catalina.out" &
                su -p -s /bin/sh $TOMCAT5_USER \
                        -c "\"$DAEMON\" start $STARTUP_OPTS" \
                        >> "$CATALINA_BASE/logs/catalina.out" 2>&1

Might that maybe be the reason for finding similar-but-not-quite-the-same logfiles for Tomcat ?
- one named "catalina.2008-06-12.log"
- one named "catalina_2008-06-12.log"

The above would explain why we find "catalina_2008-06-12.log" like files in the /var/log/tomcatxx directory. It seems to me (but I'm not quite sure before I check the rotatelogs doc) - that it tells rotatelogs to take "catalina.out" on a daily base and archive it to e.g. "catalina_yyyy-mm-dd.log"
- and then starts Tomcat, re-directing STDOUT and STDERR to catalina.out

On the other hand, Tomcat itself creates another daily logfile, in the form of "catalina.yyyy-mm-dd.log".

Now, as a separate follow-up question, to the "real Tomcat" gurus (to which I humbly tip my hat and genuflect in shame) :

Is it possible to change this so that Tomcat5.5 would produce a single logfile e.g. per month (catalina.yyyy-mm.log), instead of one per day ?
And if yes, where ?
And, by the same token, for the files "host-manager.yyyy-mm-dd.log" and "manager.yyyy-mm-dd-log" and "localhost.yyyy-mm-dd.log", which are created everyday and often remain quite small ?
Or is there a better way to manage this proliferation of logfiles ?
(and please, if possible, do not tell me that I have to read and understand the log4j documentation for this, as I am a mere Tomcat user.)

And, as a second question : do we really need the STDOUT/STDERR of Tomcat when it is running as a daemon ? Can I just replace some of the above to redirect Tomcat's STDOUT/STDERR > /dev/null ?
Or would we then lose some essential information ?

Thank you in advance,
André

(And I am for now not even speaking to the wicked wicked Debian Linux Tomcat packagers anymore)