Christopher Schultz wrote:

André,

I'm disappointed in your unwillingness to read documentation for
libraries that you use. You wouldn't call General Electric to ask them
how to cool a steak just because you keep it cold in a GE freezer. By
the same token, don't expect anyone in the Tomcat community to give you
a primer on how to configure log4j when the documentation is just
begging to be read over at logging.apache.org. :(

I like the above analogy, but it begs for another one :

I don't own a GE fridge, but I (occasionally) drive a BMW car. It is quite sophisticated, and most of the driver controls (lights, window wipers, radio, etc..) are made by Bosch or some other car-equipment supplier. Yet, when I want to know how to turn on the window-wipers, BMW doesn't tell me to go read and understand the Bosch technical documentation for ditto. Instead they provide a nice BMW User's Guide who tells me exactly which button to press, even though they don't make the window-wipers themselves.

Granted, the BMW costs quite a bit more than a Tomcat instance (at least as far as the up-front cost is concerned; maintenance is a more contentious issue). But then, both need users in order to survive, and not all users are engineers. So BMW bites the bullet and makes a nice and readable User's Guide, which helps in making their cars popular to the masses.

What I am saying, is that I understand what you're saying, and I agree that one can't do everything, and that people who develop Tomcat and log4j, and make it available for free, deserve credit, a lot of it. But for a mere user who would just like to use Tomcat, the documentation of log4j (and commons-logging) is obscure to say the least, and an absolute overkill when it comes to find out how to merely change the name of a logfile.

Would'nt you think so ?
;-)