You can write a simple JSP which will run a freeMemory/totalMemory call in your
JVM and possibly send a mail/log when the limits are reached.

You could set a refresh interval and have this page refresh say every 5 minutes
in your browser.

Alternatively you can tweak with the manager app code.

If you are an administrator ten from a long term monitoring aspect you may want
to explore the usage of Lambdaprobe.

http://www.lambdaprobe.org

-Sameer