Richard,

Richard S. Huntrods wrote:
|    public static Vector listLookup(String table) {
| //        Connection connection = null; // connection is managed by a
| connection pool

So, is 'connection' a local or not?

|        Statement statement = null;
|        ResultSet resultSet = null;
|
|        // connection is managed by a connection pool
|        try {
|            if(connection == null) {
|                getConnection();
|            }

If 'connection' is a local, what does 'getConnection' do?

If 'connection' is /not/ a local, then you are asking for threading trouble.

|            if(connection != null) {
|                statement = connection.createStatement();
|                resultSet = statement.executeQuery("SELECT * FROM " +
| table + " ORDER BY idNumber");
|                if(resultSet != null) {
|                    /* process resultSet */
|                    }
|                    resultSet.close();
|                }
|                statement.close();
|            }
|            return /* results Vector */
|        }
|        catch (SQLException sqle) {
|        /* debug messages */
|        }
|        catch (Exception e) {
|        /* debug messages */
|        }
|        finally {
|        /* debug messages */
|            connection = null;

You need to have statement.close() and resultSet.close() in here (in the
finally block), not up above. Also, most database connection pools
require that you call connection.close() to return the connection to the
pool. Are you ever calling connection.close()?

Also, which connection pool do you use?

|        }
|        return null;
|    }
|
| NOTE: by checking debug logs, I can tell that during normal use there
| are NO exceptions occurring, and the finally is NOT getting called - yet
| the memory leak is still going on.

The finally block had /better/ be called: it's a requirement of the JVM
and the language.