All,
A brief on wat i did.

1. Downloaded the httpd 2.2.8 and tomcat 6.0.16 versions.
2. Httpd installation
     ./configure --with-included-apr --prefix=<install directory>
     Listening on port 8000
3. Tomcat installation
    Modified the catalina.sh file to point to the tomcat home/jdk home
    STarted and listening on 8080
4.mod_jk installation
        Tried the build and install method using the source code file.
        Also the binary file downloaded from the apache site was copied to
/modules dir of the httpd.
        jk logs doesnot show any error , while starting the httpd process.
As wel the httpd and tomcat doesnt show any errors.