I never do this deletion while the webapp is running.
I stop the web app. carry out the deletion, and then restart the webapp, either by dropping a new war for the app in webapps, or using the manager app, or by restarting tomcat. The work directory is where tomcat uses jasper to compile jsp's, and that is done on an as-needed basis. So if you do the deletion first, and then (re)start your app, tomcat will start recompiling the jsp's in work as they are requested.

--Ken