Mark, thanks for the reply.

You appear to have misunderstood. Which part of the doc did you get this
> from and I'll see if it can be made clearer.

>From my understanding of the the order of precedence.

[quote]

*Context* elements may be explicitly defined:

   - in the $CATALINA_HOME/conf/context.xml file: the Context element
   information will be loaded by all webapps
   - in the $CATALINA_HOME/conf/[enginename]/[hostname]/context.xml.defaultfile:
the Context element information will be loaded by all webapps of that
   host
   - in individual files (with a ".xml" extension) in the
   $CATALINA_HOME/conf/[enginename]/[hostname]/ directory. The name of the
   file (less the .xml) extension will be used as the context path. Multi-level
   context paths may be defined using #, e.g. context#path.xml. The default
   web application may be defined by using a file called ROOT.xml.
   - if the previous file was not found for this application, in an
   individual file at /META-INF/context.xml inside the application files
   - inside a
Host<http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/config/host.html>element
in the main
   conf/server.xml

[/quote]

I thought this means that if there isn't a context for this webapp in
$CATALINA_HOME/conf/context.xml, or in
$CATALINA_HOME/conf/[enginename]/[hostname]/context.xml.default, or just in
the [hostname] directory, then it would use the context defined in the web
application META-INF/context.xml.

Is there a different handling for packaged webapps (wars) vs. an exploded
directory?

Thanks,
Eric

--
Learn from the past. Live in the present. Plan for the future.
11101000