any reason why you're not using DBCP ?
if you dont mind using a connection pool take a look at examples provided at

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/dbcp/trunk/doc/ManualPoolingDataSourceExample.java?revision=132018&view=markup

also if you want your instance variables to automatically map to DB columns I
would suggest Hibernate
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/websphere/techjournal/0409_patil/0409_patil.html

HTH
Martin
Disclaimer and confidentiality note
Everything in this e-mail and any attachments relates to the official business
of Sender. This transmission is of a confidential nature and Sender does not
endorse distribution to any party other than intended recipient. Sender does
not necessarily endorse content contained within this transmission.