Mark,

Interesting but shouldn't the getDate method be slightly different:

          if ((systime - currentDate.getTime()) > 1000) {

In this line if currentDate is at millisecond 900 then the next second starts with the millisec and that is 100 ms later.

        long cachedtime = currentDate.getTime();
          if ((systime - cachedtime > 999 - cachedtime%1000) {

Yes, I know it is a quibble about what is probably "fuzzy" logic. But I'm just a guy who learned to typeset using integers in ebcdic at 300 dpi in Fortran and IBM Sys 370 Assembler and this is a classic "next pixel" problem with proportional width characters at a small font size.

(A comment for all those US-ASCII-7 haters - look up the EBCDIC code table :-) or better look up Hollerith who invented Punchcards for the 1890 US Census. There is some logic to it that is very similar to QWERTY...)

Regards,
Dave