----- Original Message ----- From: "sinoea kaabi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 12:48 PM
Subject: RE: Tomcat 5.5, JNDI Connection Pooling, Active connections keep increasing....

Just a question here,
I am using a Data class to retrieve the datasource

public class Data {

/**
* Gets a [EMAIL PROTECTED] DataSource} for database connection usage.
* @return The datasource for database connection.
* @throws SQLException
*/
public static DataSource getDataSource() throws SQLException {
if (ds == null) {
DATASOURCE.info("DataSource is NULL ");
MANY_CONNECTIONS.info("DataSource is NULL ");
try {
final Context initContext = new InitialContext();
ds = (BasicDataSource)initContext.lookup("java:/comp/env/jdbc/myDB");
initContext.close();
logDataSource(ds);
return ds;
} catch (final NamingException e) {
e.printStackTrace();
throw new RuntimeException("Java naming exception when getting connection from tomcat pool: " + e.getMessage());
}
} else {
logDataSource(ds);
return ds;
}
   }

}

Sineoa, my feeling is dont use static, unless you really want it.... in a multithreaded environment
It pumps all the threads thru one pipe...

So yes I would *new* that as well...

But note this is where you will better be server by a DBCP user... because we dont use it...

ie someone may say that declaring the Context as static is standard practice and saves time... but I dont think so

You cant really go wrong by making it new... but you can get nailed by making it static ;)

Have fun...
The only real POJO Application Server.