Hi André - between yours and Mark's advice I have managed to do what i
needed to.

Thank you all - i'm amazed at the level of response... (half expected to
look in a month and see no responses.)

One last thing - If you upload the .war files with the tomcat manager /
host-manager is there a way to do this - or will it always involve hand
editing the server.xml file (and renaming directories). ?

Thanks again everybody - you've possible just saved my monitor from being
throw out the window.

Cheers !