thanks chris, this may bee what i've been looking for, since we do use user
sessions already.

we're running the site (with slight differences) on internet and intranet,
so we could tell our users to wait until response, but would be quite
difficult to tell our customers ;)
we're working on the performance in general too, but we would have to
decrease the functunality, to make it really performance friendly.
thank you all for your answers, have a nice day
colin