André Warnier wrote:
> Hi.
> I found an approximative example for you, here :
> http://www.javafaq.nu/java-example-code-237.html
> (searching Google for "HttpServletResponseWrapper example"
>
> If I remember well, what you want to achieve is : depending on the
> response content that the webapp generates, you would like to set a
> response header.  This response header has to be set of course, before
> the first byte of output content is sent to the browser.
>
> Before your webapp is going to send this first byte, it will need to get
> some form of output stream to write the byte to.
> It will do that using one of the methods available to webapps to get
> such an output stream, which I identify as either getOutputStream or
> getWriter.

I suspect it will rather depend on the type of processing the OP is
trying to do on the output, maybe he can enlighten us?

> So what you probably need to do in your wrapper, is to override these
> two methods, so that when the servlet calls one of them, you can return
> your own version of it instead of the regular one.
> In this way, later your wrapper can "sit in the middle" when the webapp
> starts writing to its output, and you can examine this output before
> forwarding it to the "real" servlet output stream.  Of course before you
> forward the output there, you will have determined which header you want
> to add and sent it out.

Andre is making the point that the processing could be done inside the
wrapper, rather than in the filter - which is only there to allow you to
wrap the response.

> Not very easy, and over my current capacities.

As above, depends on the type of processing required...  the use of a
ByteArrayOutputStream may be a simple way of buffering the response for
example.