Hi,

Look at http://java.sun.com/developer/EJTechTips/2003/tt0114.html,
especially the text
The string isErrorPage="true" causes the Web container to define a new
implicit variable, "exception", that the JSP page can use in scriptlets or
in custom tags. For example, the error page for the current example uses the
"exception" object to report the name of the class that caused the
exception:
Basically when at the top of the jsp you specify isErrorPage=true, you have
a variable exception that contains the thrown exception

Hope this helps

Regards,

Serge Fonville