Rob,

I feel for you, I experienced the frustrations of the "zero size
response/blank page" several times, each times with a different root
cause.

I have used several approaches in the past:
1) first make sure the 500 page itself isn't causing the problem. Use a
plain JSP instead to see if you still get a blank response.
2) do you have any servlet filter? Make sure to exclude your error pages
from being processed by the filters.
4) Increase logging levels for TOMCAT to DEBUG, but be prepared, it
generate a LOT of output.
3) As last attach a debugger to the tomcat process and break on any
Exception thrown. This can be time consuming since a lot of Exception
can be thrown even during normal execution...

Sorry if this is so generic... I hope you find a solution to your
problem.

Florian