Dear Dan,

Yes it works with apache-tomcat.5.5.25, the port comes up and listens on Port 8005. I can stop and start at will, no problem.

The installation I have is 6.0.16, no mods to server.xml and this is one that throws the error.

Strange. When I try a stock 6.0.16, freshly downloaded from apache.org the error message is eerily similar if something is listening on port 8005 already. Apart from the German message, of course.

Nov 13, 2008 9:21:13 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer await
SEVERE: StandardServer.await: create[8005]:
java.net.BindException: Address already in use
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketBind(Native Method)
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.bind(PlainSocketImpl.java:359)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.bind(ServerSocket.java:319)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.<init>(ServerSocket.java:185)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.await(StandardServer.java: 373)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.await(Catalina.java:642)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:602)
at sun .reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java: 39) at sun .reflect .DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java: 25)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:288)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:413)

Are yu absolutely sure that nothing is listening on port 8005 when you started the 6.0.16 server? You can check using the advise in http://java-monitor.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22

Note that AIX is not in the list of sample commands. Could you let me know afterwards what commands you use on AIX to find out who is listening? It would be nice for future reference.
--
Kees Jan

http://java-monitor.com/forum/
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
06-51838192

The secret of success lies in the stability of the goal. -- Benjamin Disraeli