Dear Kees Jan,

Thanks for the info, I have verified that my existing Tomcat is offline.  My
existing Apache Tcat 5.5.25 binds to the port without incident, only the out of
the box 6.0.16 is causing the problem, with the identical message as yours.

I'm using netstat -an |grep 8005 on AIX, to only list if the port is in
use/listening.   I've done a 'man netstat'  and cannot find the command to list
the actual process, still checking AIX commands to see what available.

When I issue the ./shutdown.sh and execute the netstat command again, no rows
are returned, which would normally indicate the port/socket is released. Let me
reiterate, my existing will come up and bind to the port.

Before the server shutdown automatically, I can access the 8080 port and
display the Apache splash page.

Any thing else to check?

Let me know and thanks again.