> From: Justin Randall [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: RE: Tomcat 6.0.18 Servlet Loading/Reloading
>
> Basically when I restart Tomcat, it doesn't call any of the
> "init" methods of the Servlet

Unless you have <load-on-startup> set for the servlet in your webapp's
WEB-INF/web.xml, that is correct behavior for a Tomcat restart.  The init()
method (there can only be one per servlet) should be called upon first
reference to a URL that matches a <url-pattern> element inside one of your
<servlet-mapping> elements.  If <load-on-startup> is set, the init() method
will be called at Tomcat restart for each such servlet.

> however all of the initialization which was to be
> performed by the "init" methods was never done.

You keep using the word "methods" when there is only one init() method for a
given servlet; why is that?

> When I copy the existing war file from the webapps directory
> to another location, update the modify timestamp and then
> move it back into the webapps directory, the "init" methods
> are then called and the application works properly.

This is also correct behavior for initial or re-deployment.  Although the spec
doesn't require it, Tomcat calls the init() methods to verify webapp viability
at these times.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.