Tomcat does not return any error - any requests after I have exhausted the
pool,, are sitting in a wait state waiting for a DB connection to be freed.
No DB connections will be freed because the requests from the client that
are trying to perform commits (thereby freeing a DB connection) are not
being processed by Tomcat. My logging indicates that I send the commit
requests, but I never get a response.

The problem is caused (I believe) by Tomcat's inability to process the
requests that come in after the DB connection pool has been exhausted.
When I increase c3p0's max thread limit, there is no problem - Tomcat seems
to be able to handle as many requests as I throw at it.