You're right, maybe I put this in the wrong forum. Below is a stack trace of
a request when it first enters my code on a successful request. In the error
case, my code is not being invoked.
I believe that all of the code below (except the top 4 call frames) are
coyote and catalina code. I thought this was the correct forum for this
question - perhaps not?

What I meant by 'Tomcat processing the request' was that Tomcat receives the
HTTP request and passes it into my code. I assumed the request is being
blocked in Tomcat...

When I recreate my problem and look at the threads in Tomcat, the only hung
threads are the ones waiting for a free DB connection in c3p0 code. There is
no trace of the incoming commit requests, which I do believe are
successfully sent from my client (according to my logs).

ServiceProxyServlet(HttpServlet).service(HttpServletRequest,
HttpServletResponse) line: 709
ServiceProxyServlet(HttpServlet).service(ServletRequest, ServletResponse)
line: 802
GWTShellServlet.service(HttpServletRequest, HttpServletResponse) line: 253
GWTShellServlet(HttpServlet).service(ServletRequest, ServletResponse) line:
802
ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ServletRequest, ServletResponse)
line: 237
ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ServletRequest, ServletResponse) line: 157
StandardWrapperValve.invoke(Request, Response, ValveContext) line: 214
StandardValveContext.invokeNext(Request, Response) line: 104
StandardPipeline.invoke(Request, Response) line: 520
StandardContextValve.invokeInternal(Wrapper, Request, Response) line: 198
StandardContextValve.invoke(Request, Response, ValveContext) line: 152
StandardValveContext.invokeNext(Request, Response) line: 104
StandardPipeline.invoke(Request, Response) line: 520
StandardHostValve.invoke(Request, Response, ValveContext) line: 137
StandardValveContext.invokeNext(Request, Response) line: 104
ErrorReportValve.invoke(Request, Response, ValveContext) line: 118
StandardValveContext.invokeNext(Request, Response) line: 102
StandardPipeline.invoke(Request, Response) line: 520
StandardEngineValve.invoke(Request, Response, ValveContext) line: 109
StandardValveContext.invokeNext(Request, Response) line: 104
StandardPipeline.invoke(Request, Response) line: 520
StandardEngine(ContainerBase).invoke(Request, Response) line: 929
CoyoteAdapter.service(Request, Response) line: 160
Http11Processor.process(InputStream, OutputStream) line: 799
Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(TcpConnection,
Object[]) line: 705
TcpWorkerThread.runIt(Object[]) line: 577
ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run() line: 683
ThreadWithAttributes(Thread).run() line: 619