Toriacht

Eclipse wst has a number of dfferent ways of working. It looks like you have selected the (default) way in which eclipse creates its own internal copy of the webapps directory - in your case in the folder E:\\ ......\tmp1\service_demo.

What the error is saying is that as tomcat starts it can't find the doc base.

This is most likely for the following two reasons:

1. the directory really isn't writeable
2. more likely, you've managed to get eclipse out of sync with your project.

I suggest that you try the following:

Find the 'Server' tab (normally in one of the bottom panes)
Find the tomcat server - right click on in and select 'Clean' and then 'Refresh'

This will rebuild the internal copy.

Try starting it again.

If this still doesn't work, then please provide the following:

The FULL startup display from the 'console' pane
Your web.xml

Thanks

Alan

Toriacht wrote:
Thanks guys...

I'm not sure if the following is an Eclipse or Tomcat issue. I have a simple
webservices demo written from tuorial. It appeared that teh server was
started up thru server staus window of eclips..console o/p etc but it never
appeared in task manager or the tomcat was not accessable thru a browser. On
closer inspection I found the following error..this happens when i try to
start the server thru eclipse..

SEVERE: Error starting static Resources java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Document base C:\Documents and
Settings\Brian\workspace\ganymede\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.wst.server.core\tmp1\wtpwebapps\service_demo
does not exist or is not a readable directory at org.apache.naming.resources.FileDirContext.setDocBase(FileDirContext.java:141) Any ideas?

p.s. I have another thread on web services that ended up asking the same qn
as above. although it started out as a more generic question. I hope this
not against policy. I'll delete other thread if required.

From: g f [mailto:gfo...@gmail.com]
Subject: Re: Tomcat Beginner - Step 2!

Change your port forwarding(virtual server) to forward port 80 (on the
outside) to port 8080 on the inside.
If your router/modem doesn't support port forwarding, change the
<Connector> port in conf/server.xml to use 80 rather than 8080.  You must
restart Tomcat whenever you make changes to the server.xml file.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.