I don't have a great deal of experience with Postgres but I have been
using MySQL since the days of mSQL and have found it to be fast,
reliable, easy to install on both Linux and Windows and straightforward
to administer.  It provides good support for the ANSI standard and the
documentation is good in identifying extensions to or deviations from
the standard.  All of the basic tools, from query analysis to command
line administration programs, are documented and function reliably.
Statement syntax is very well documented.  Features include
localization, various character sets (UTF-8 and Unicode), data
encryption, client/server encryption, stored procedures, triggers,
transactions, APIs for a number of programming languages and support for
ODBC, JDBC and .NET.  Configurability is provided mainly through some
250+ system variables which may be set at startup (on the command line
or in the options file) or dynamically with the SET statement.  I have
been very pleased with its performance both administratively and as a
programmer and you can't beat the price.

-Terence M. Bandoian