In our company we used MySQL and Postgres for several projects. Both DBMSs are mature and stable, and they are used worldwide for large-scale projects. Performance-wise we measured some differences, but they were not so big to notice them in the real-life loads. In other words, having some experience with both DBMSs, I couldn't recommend either one being definitely better than the other.

That said, the most important consideration for us was the license. MySQL uses dual licensing model (GPL+commercial), while Postgres uses BSD license. That was the main selection criteria for us.

Regards,
Ognjen

Ken Bowen wrote:
Hi all (especially Chris -- very informative long post today on Tomcat/MySQL):

For a several reasons (including the apparent infinite default for connection timeout), I'm contemplating switching one or two projects from MySQL to PostgreSQL. I'd like to gather opinions on the tradeoffs, including:

Unfortunately, MySQL isn't really that tunable. On the other hand, MySQL
requires very little in the way of tuning!

I created a couple of proof-of-concept projects with PostgreSQL for someone about six months ago, and the only really puzzling thing what how to set up "sequences" corresponding to MySQL's AUTOINCREMENT (I'm not sure I've really wrapped head around it completely anyway). For those small projects, it worked well, but there was no stress involved.

I'd like to hear about people's experiences and what they think are the strengths and weaknesses of each DBMS for use behind Tomcat.

Thanks much in advance,
Ken Bowen