Chris-

My effort was to relate my experience with MySQL which, as I said, has
been very positive, to the original poster.  The JSP applications I've
developed using MySQL on Linux servers and Windows laptops, desktops and
servers have proven over time to be reliable and responsive.  And, as I
said, I've found it to be straightforward to install and administer.  If
that contradicts your experience, then so be it.  You're welcome to your
own opinion.

-Terence M. Bandoian