Mike Eller wrote:
Ok,
workers.properties is as follows:

workers.tomcat_home=/usr/lib/apache-tomcat
comment out or delete, obsolete
workers.java_home=/usr/lib/jdk
comment out or delete, no longer needed
worker.list=worker1
good, and it matches my earlier explanation

worker.worker1.port=8009
good too, if that is the port mentioned in the AJP Connector of your Tomcat's server.xml file. (It is, I just peeked below..)

worker.worker1.host=webber
that needs to be localhost instead of webber (cause your Tomcat runs on the same machine, right ?). Unless your machine knows itself as "webber" of course.

worker.worker1.type=ajp13
that's good, and it's always like that.  That line never changes.

This is a simple file from the tutorial.

The jkmount directives in httpd-conf... I followed the tutorial to use
the auto config, so in httpd.conf I have the following:

Include /usr/lib/apache-tomcat/conf/auto/mod_jk.conf

The contents of mod_jk.conf is as follows:

########## Auto generated on Wed Jan 28 15:05:37 EST 2009##########

<IfModule !mod_jk.c>
  LoadModule jk_module
"/usr/lib/httpd/modules/mod_jk-1.2.27-httpd-2.2.6.so"
</IfModule>
That tells Apache where to find the mod_jk module. And it is a recent version too.

JkWorkersFile "/usr/lib/apache-tomcat/conf/jk/workers.properties"
that's the "workers.properties" both Gregor and I were talking about then, good too.

JkLogFile "/usr/lib/apache-tomcat/logs/mod_jk.log"
That's where you will find a log of any errors encountered by mod_jk

JkLogLevel emerg
You could set this to "info" to get a better idea of what mod_jk is doing. Even to "debug" if you are really curious.

I do not have a directory /etc/apache2/mods-available nor can I find the
files jk.conf and jk.load

there is also no directory /etc/apache2/mods-enabled
That's ok, each Linux distribution has some fun putting files in some other place. Keeps the world interesting and sysadmins from getting bored.

my connector definition from ${CATALINA_HOME}/conf/server.xml is:

<Connector port="8009" protocol="AJP/1.3" redirectPort="8443" />

Very good. That is thus where Tomcat will be listening for request coming from Apache through the mod_jk module, as I mentioned before.

Again, all this was created and configured according to the
guide/tutorial.

You did a pretty good job too. I suspect only the "webber" part is wrong, and maybe your "JkMount" are missing in Apache.

Thanks,
Mike