> From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:ch...@christopherschultz.net]
> Subject: Performance of APR

> due to the overhead of the JVM, heap management, etc.

Actually, object allocation these days is quite a bit faster than a malloc(),
and objects that quickly become unreachable quickly cost almost nothing at GC
time.  Some JVMs can determine that objects are truly thread local and don't
even allocate them on the heap but instead treat them like local variables in C.

> Can anyone give a non-flame comment or point to an actual performance
> comparison with decent data?

The last trustworthy study I saw on this specific topic was the one from Peter
Lin:
http://tomcat.apache.org/articles/benchmark_summary.pdf

Note that it predates APR use in Tomcat.

There are some other interesting papers here:
http://tomcat.apache.org/resources.html#Articles

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.