Leon Rosenberg wrote:
On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 9:34 PM, Christopher Schultz

I can't help but suspect that Apache httpd will outperform Tomcat even
when it's running APR for static content, merely due to the overhead of
the JVM, heap management, etc. (which I realize are fairly minimal).

Well, actually when it comes to IO performance Java outperforms C, so
I wouldn't place my money on old bets like C is faster because its C.
It isn't.

When it comes to the large file serving then the OS sendfile
support in Tomcat Native outperforms the standard Java IO
by an order of magnitude (In some of my tests up to 4 times),
and with constant memory usage regardless of file size.

There is also some other advanced features like
Thread per request processing model, and much faster
OpenSSL compared to JSSE.

I have a presentation from ApacheCon EU 2007
that has some performance figures:
http://people.apache.org/~mturk/tc6apconneu07.pdf

Regards
--