Mikolaj Rydzewski wrote:
André Warnier wrote:
chown root/root /bin/ps
chmod 700 /bin/ps
User can build his own ps binary.

Security by obscurity is not a good way to go.

I was just kidding. ;-)

I'd still like to make it work though.
It looks like such a nice way to solve the problem, apart from the fact that the -D command-line options do show up on the ps display.

I've been trying to twist it with things like
/usr/lib/jvm/java "`cat hidden-file`" ...
and stuff like that, but of course it doesn't help either.

Another thought :
Isn't there a way to have Java read a properties file when it starts up ?
Answering my own question : probably, but then it has again to be readable by the userid starting the JVM.

Ok, so it does not work for things that one wants to keep hidden, but it still works for normal settings that might be different between customers, like the IP address of some external host.