Mikolaj Rydzewski wrote:
André Warnier wrote:
if I have a webapp consistig of just a couple of classes and a WEB-INF/web.xml config file, but this web.xml file contains some parameters that are "each-client-dependent", and some customers are insisting to receive the updates as a war file, how can I achieve that ?

Someone earlier here mentioned that you could put the settings in a file outside the application, but that is not possible in this case, or is it ?
You can have web.xml parameter, e.g.

<context-param>
   <param-name>config-file-location</param-name>
<param-value>/filesystem/path or URL or some-other-location</param-value>
</context-param>

And then you can retrieve parameter value, thus, read config file.
Idea is, that param-value is the same for every client/build. E.g. points to configuration file in $CATALINA_HOME/conf. So you can have one war file and client dependant configurations.

Ok, that would work if you wrote the webapp yourself, and all the filters that go with it. It would however not work if there are some customer-specific parameters in web.xml, that are outside of your control. (I'm thinking for example of a UrlRewrite or jCIFS filter)

Would there be a way to create a war file that does not contain a WEB-INF/web.xml file, but maybe contains a "soft link" to a whole web.xml file located somewhere else ?

The basic idea is : I could still give my customer a war-file that he can deploy containing my updated classes of jars or whatever, but it would not overwrite his customer-specific web.xml when he deploys it.

I think this issue is so general/generic that there must exist some way, no ?