Christopher Schultz wrote:

Sam and David,

On 2/20/2009 1:36 PM, David Smith wrote:
Sam Hokin wrote:
It's a logical RAID array on four physical disks.  I've
run fsck on it (when this all first happened) and it's fine.
It _could_ be a disk issue.  I've seen disks that scan fine contain a
growing number of blocks causing read errors and continuous retries.

Yeah, you gotta run badblocks on it. fsck just checks the filesystem
integrity, not the physical disk.

If there are problems with the disks themselves, the Raid controller should have a utility program allowing to inspect such, no ? If they are hot-swap, you could also try to remove one of them and insert a new one, let him rebuild it and try again. It will take a while to go through all 4 of them this way, but should not interrupt anything.

It would be quite a pity if this turned out to be a mere disk problem though. Much less interesting than the current intellectual pursuit.