Mark Thomas wrote:
Sam Hokin wrote:
Thanks, Chris.  I ran e2fsck with the -c option, which runs badblocks,
when I tested it earlier.  And I just ran badblocks again - 0 bad blocks
found.  I wish I could fix this by simply as swapping out a bad disk
(notwithstanding Andre's desire for intellectual pursuits), but I really
think it's software, either in some service mucking up the JVM or the
JVM itself.  But it only manifests itself under Tomcat, and then only
when this particular package is imported.

Do you see the same issue if you pre-compile that JSP?

Surprisingly, yes. So it's not only a compilation issue. After some individual tests, I compiled the JSPs from the four sites I have running on this server and restarted Tomcat, and the LONG delay before Tomcat begins serving page requests continues. I looked at my individual test JSP, now precompiled, and, sure enough, it takes a long time to respond to the first request after a Tomcat restart. In fact, it wasn't any better than when Tomcat compiles them on the fly. So I'm back to thinking the classloader is involved in this delay as well.

I did check, just to be sure, and Tomcat did not write any class files under Catalina/work. And if I deleted a compiled class file on a site, a request throws an error logged in catalina.out. So, Tomcat is definitely using the compiled classes.