Ken Bowen wrote:
Let's be frugal and use just 2 "instances of a webapp".
How do you run "2 instances of a webapp"?
You must deploy them.  How do you do that?
You drop a war file for each into webapps.
.. etc.. (sound of me being whacked ..)

Sorry, I expressed myself badly I guess.
I meant :
- there is only one webapp defined, say "/mywebapp"
- but there are currently 5 HTTP requests to "/mywebapp" being processed

My understanding is that there are thus 5 Threads currently running "mywebapp". That's what I was calling "instances", and I apologise if that is the wrong terminology. Now, one of these "instances", for some reason of it's own, has just sent a request to the Manager webapp asking to be "undeployed".

Now, how many of these "ServletContextListener" things are in existence, and how many are being called to say that something is going on ?

Does my question/remark/puzzlement make sense in that context ?

Remember I'm not really a Java guy, so my understanding of these things tends to be somewhat nebulous..